Tuesday, March 11, 2008

What I needed to say v. 2 - final

Open the Door

It was a pretty
-- sunny --
June afternoon

I remember the sun’s ultraviolet rays
Enveloping my body when I walked out

I remember clearly
Though I’m not sure you would

I wanted to do something that day
When you fell
Would you have remembered?

When you tripped
When you suddenly lost your balance
When your head flew backwards
And hit the concrete ground --

All I could do was watch
All I could do was stare

I wanted to reach out…
Reach out and pull you right up

But all I did was nothing

I remember when you used to lift me right up
Next to the candy cabinet
And give me sweets and treats

Now all of that is gone
Your hugs – frail but firm
Your kisses – planted on my pink, blushing cheeks
Your voice – it’s been so long

So long that I’ve forgotten
Is that horrible?

But if I had --
If only I had reached out
And held that door open for you

Maybe you would be here

Next to me
Smiling

And telling me how much I’ve grown

I’m sorry I didn’t open that door for you

No comments: